Description

AN AMERICAN ACCOUNT OF PARIS : LIVING, EATING, AND TRYING TO SPEAK FRENCH

Thursday, December 1, 2011

DUCK, DUCK, DUCK, TURKEY!



So I'm not going to get a chance to post anything too interesting because I'm preparing Thanksgiving for all my foreign friends. I know, I know, I said I was going to do it last Saturday but I was just too jet lagged. And this way it's on a Thursday and is thus more authentic.

I did have yet another revelation yesterday. As I was running around from butchery to butchery to find a turkey I had to talk to numerous butchers. And, much to my surprise, they were all lovely! Especially the man who actually had a whole turkey to sell me. He spoke a little english, I spoke a little french, we laughed, it was wonderful. And that is when I realized that when it come's to the French, they are either awesome and charming, or horrible and rude. There really is no in between.



It shouldn't come as too much of a shock since that seems to be how they operate. They aren't really mediocre at anything. They either kick-ass or fail completely. Food, good. War, bad. Art, good. Breath, bad. Perfume, good. Bathing, bad. No gray areas, no middle spot, just one end of the spectrum or the other.

As I continue my exploration and interpersonal relationships I hope I will encounter much more of the good than the bad. But the bad can be good too. It certainly is humorous. Who doesn't laugh at the thought of the Maginot Line? I know my Marine brother-in-law, Todd, thinks it's a sign that God has a sense of humor. Honestly though, I cannot wait to meet more of the charming people that Paris has to offer me, and I plan on returning to that boucherie just so I can get a good dose of happiness. Nothing quite like a nice person to brighten your day, even when you're spending 77 euros on a turkey.


No comments:

Post a Comment