Description

AN AMERICAN ACCOUNT OF PARIS : LIVING, EATING, AND TRYING TO SPEAK FRENCH

Saturday, December 31, 2011

COUNTDOWN TO NEW YEARS!





Happy New Years! ...well almost. This last year was certainly jam packed with excitement and growth for me and I am looking forward to what 2012 has to offer! I'm thinking it's going to be a good one. I certainly have tons of informative Parisian tips for you from my family's visit to start off the year, including museum tips, tourist must-sees, restaurant reviews, and MISSION's.




Though I never really saw New Years Eve as a huge party and certainly did not see a reason to spend lots of money or sweat it out with the masses in a bar/club somewhere. Apparently this year I am to host quite a decent gathering myself. Now that I am living with Elze (which commenced just one fine day ago) my life has already increased in excitement exponentially. What was supposed to be a small gathering of friends over left-over lamb, wine, and cheese, has now turned into a party of 18 strangers from all over the world. I have to roll up my bed to make room for the bunch, toss out the crispy Christmas Tree in my kitchen, and buy bits of alcohol and nosh.

I know it may sound like complaining, but really I'm not. I wouldn't mind just staying in, watching a movie, and drinking champagne with my parisian pastry pals, but at least this way I'm still staying in and have an interesting Parisian New Year's story looming in the night.




As far as New Year's resolutions go, I've pretty much given up on them. They're often so trivial, so trite, that it's hard to be motivated by them or see them through. In years past I've chosen inspirational words to follow instead of a set demand like, lose ten pounds. One year was metamorphosis. Last year was fulfilment, and I think that following my dreams to study pastry in Paris, live abroad, and make friends from all over the world has certainly accomplished that. This year, I think I'm going to go for moxie. My dashboard dictionary defines it as such:

Moxie: noun, informal
force of character, determination, or nerve




I think that sounds about right. After my horrific experience with the satanic hell children of Pain de Sucre, I've learned the importance of believing in oneself. It's not always easy for me to stick to my guns or to do so while maintaining my character. I like it because it's similar to courage, but with personality, and personality goes a long way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment