Description

AN AMERICAN ACCOUNT OF PARIS : LIVING, EATING, AND TRYING TO SPEAK FRENCH

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

RESTAURANT REVIEW: CHERRY CRICKET

Okay, so if you are looking for a fabulous eatery in Paris this is not where you want to be. But being in Denver, Colorado didn't seem reason enough not to review the food. I may be a snob but I'm not blind. And today was one of the better meals I've had in a while.

The Cherry Cricket is located in the Cherry Creek neighborhood of Denver. It is known for it's delicious burgers and I must say that it stands up to its reputation. I've always loved this welcoming American burger joint and it is on my "to-do list" of things I want to accomplish while in Denver. So when the opportunity presented itself I jumped at the chance, prepared to take notes.




Set back behind me I entered the establishment bubbling with excitement. We were lucky enough to be going at an odd hour and therefore missed the long line expected at peak dining times. Not exactly charming, the restaurant is quite dark. It's composed of numerous rooms attached by walkways and halls. It seems like a place where it would be easy to get lost. But while the atmosphere may not be in-your-face enchanting, there is always an overall feel of pleasantness because the patrons enjoying their food is infectious. Perhaps one of my favorite things about the Cherry Cricket is their "add anything" list for their burgers. Not only do they have a multitude of toppings offered on the menu they also mention that if they have it in the kitchen, they'll put it on a burger.




I went for a winning combination. I ordered the Cricket (a half-pound patty on a soft sesame bun, with lettuce, tomato and onion) and piled on avocado, grilled bermuda onions, and an egg over easy. I then added on dijon mustard, mayo, and ketchup, and spread the avocado onto the bun to prevent it from sliding out upon biting. I cut the burger in half to expose the yolk which oozed out, mixing with the other condiments and creating a delicious and juicy combination. Though the bun was imbibed with this tantalizing sauce it still held together which I always appreciate since I'm American and eat my burgers with my hands (I do not respect you if you do otherwise). The onions were sweet and soft, the tomato was thick, red and juicy, the meat was pink perfection. It could possibly be one of the best burgers I've ever had.


My Cherry Cricket cricket burger creation. 


Not to be outdone, the Frings (an order of half fries, half onion rings, enough for two or three) were hot, crispy, and superb. The fries had that mysterious flaky crunchy layer on the outside that I love. It's as if they're battered in a spice mix which gives them a crispy skin and great flavor and makes them some of my favorite fries. The onion rings are also sublime and I refuse to order onion rings and not also order a side of ranch dressing. Frankly I think a side of ranch should come standard with all onion rings. An onion ring dipped in ketchup is just a monstrosity. But in ranch, it's absolute heaven. And these were some celestial rings.




I left full and happy and still had half of my burger to either feed to my boyfriend later or indulge in myself. I had just engaged in a decadent and fulfilling meal. For two 1/2 lb cricket burgers, a basket of frings and two craft beers we were only asked to sacrifice thirty two bucks. A local favorite, a good burger, a must do when visiting Denver, the Cherry Cricket never disappoints.




3 comments:

  1. That burger is TOO SCARY. The cat is wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would LOVE the burger Mimi! It wasn't as big as it appears in the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree. My first impression was "What in the world is that?!"

    ReplyDelete