Description

AN AMERICAN ACCOUNT OF PARIS : LIVING, EATING, AND TRYING TO SPEAK FRENCH

Friday, November 4, 2011

FOUR HUNDRED EUROS A DAY

Knowing that I can walk out of my internship at anytime gave me a skip in my step as I entered my patisserie this morning. Things washed off of me like water on a duck's back and the usual little remarks from my Chef and Alberique did not have their usual "ruin my day" effects.




Part of the joy I felt was thinking this morning that today could be my last day. Being the first day in November that we have work I was assuming that we would receive our paychecks and with that I was planning on never returning again. But, of course, this was not the case. Cecilia informed me that they would probably be giving us our pay tomorrow. Tomorrow? I guess I could come in one more day...

Why not? This day wasn't going too terribly. My positive attitude about my soon departure was helping to fuel my spirits throughout the shift. Then, however, the proverbial "it" hit the fan. I'm not exactly sure what happened in the kitchen but for the last four hours of the day it was an absolute madhouse. There was a whole mess of things to do and a whole mess of people to do them. No one got to eat lunch except me, but this didn't happen until 2:40pm and I ate so quickly I thought I was going to be sick. To top it off I think it was one of the most unorganized cluster-bang of a day I've seen yet. There were numerous things being made at one, kitchen tools left out and dirty, no space for working, no space for moving, it was not enjoyable to say the least. And I had to ask myself, is this worth it?




Of course one more day was worth the 400 € plus I would receive on my paycheck tomorrow, but I had to keep reminding myself of that fact. Let's not forget all the usual bullshit I got to endure such as being reprimanded for things that weren't my fault, getting told to be faster, getting told to move out of the way when I had previously been told to work in that space, being spoken to like an idiot in English by my boss. All within a days work.




But it'll all be over soon. Just one more day and I will be able to never go back again. How exactly am I going to enact my exodus, I'm not quite sure. I'd love to act like the child my chef is and make a big scene, throw something on the floor and dare my chef to hit me. But sadly I'm not that theatrical in real life. I'd love to sit down with my chef and calmly let him know that he's an ass and I'm leaving because it's been one of the worst experiences of my life. But truthfully, I don't know if I have the cajones for that. So what will most likely end up happening is a wimpy email informing them that I am unable to complete my internship and thank you for my time there and bullshit bullshit bullshit. What can I say? I talk a big game but really I'm a sissy at heart who is terrified of any type of confrontation. But hey, who knows what will happen tomorrow?


No comments:

Post a Comment