Description

AN AMERICAN ACCOUNT OF PARIS : LIVING, EATING, AND TRYING TO SPEAK FRENCH

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

MY SECOND SISTER





My sister and her husband are here and so my tour guide cap is on yet again, though I feel it may be a smidge too big for me. All the same, I am looking forward to doing a few things I haven't yet done. Sadly Giverny (where Monet's famous water-lilies hang out) is closed until April, but a long walk in Montmartre, the Luxembourg gardens, and the Erotic museum are all open and things I haven't gotten around to visiting yet. And of course there are the classics like a boat tour on the Seine and a trip to Orsay that I don't mind doing for a second, third, or fourth time.




Being a tourist is tiring. Being a tour guide is exhausting. And considering that I am not confident in my knowledge or expertise on this city, it can be overwhelming and somewhat humiliating as well. Kathryn's husband, Ryan, continues to ask me questions about this old building or that, and since this city is practically drowning in such things, I often have no idea about them. The constant failure to perform is making me feel that I haven't been living this city to the fullest, but Ryan tells me I should just start making things up. I did have an improv class in elementary school and though I don't like to toot my own horn, I was somewhat of a prodigy (toot, toot). I'm a bit rusty, but I'm sure by the end of the trip I'll be spouting off fictional facts like a pro.





1 comment: