Description

AN AMERICAN ACCOUNT OF PARIS : LIVING, EATING, AND TRYING TO SPEAK FRENCH

Thursday, March 22, 2012

IMPULSE AND FALLAFEL

Since these are my last few days in Paris I have been attempting to seize them with the passion of a Shakespearean lover about to woo his maiden. Considering the fact that I have been practically paralyzed with fear of the reality of my upcoming departure, this has not been an easy task. Yet I find I am motivated by the desire to not been seen by my roommate, Elze, as a complete lazy ass and so have managed to pluck myself out of this funk by the time she bounds home from her internship at Guy Savoy.




The last few days we've gone out shopping which makes little sense considering that we have both been here for a year's time and are stretching the flimsy limits of our budgets. All the same, girls will be girls and there's nothing quite like walking down the cobbled streets of Paris looking into shop after shop of beautiful things to make you happy you live here. However, by the end of every day I find myself thankful that I will be leaving this city because it makes me depressed that not only do I not have the long spindly legs that each Parisian girl was gifted with at birth, but I also don't have the bank account to support living in this city of temptation. Life just isn't fair.


Carla Bruni via Anyceta


Thus far I have been fairly frugal with my spending. I mostly splurged on decadent desserts but considering my desired profession I write that off as research. (That's also what I tell myself as I squeeze into my tired pair of pants.) Recently, however, my spending has increased by blinding amounts. I have gone to two set menu meals in the last two weeks and bought two pairs of not-so-thrifty earrings in the past two days. Apparently I am trying to make up for a year worth of saving and eating at home and as if by doing so I will win some voucher to return to France whenever I please, like a Shop Til You Drop prize.




There are a few things I would like to do before leaving, but mostly I want to continue to get to know Paris. Elze and I walked down Rue de Rosiers through the Jewish neighborhood in the Marais and it is nothing short of charming. The cobbled streets are even more deceiving than most in that they appear to be walking streets until a smart car comes whizzing at you from around a corner. There are lots of beautiful clothing stores, jewelry stores, and every other store that would be filled with non-necessities. There is also the "famous fallafel" place (L'as du Fallafel) which has a line half-way down the block and men out front calling you to join the crowds and get a taste of "the best fallafel in town!" And for only 5 euros, it's one of the cheaper meals you can get.




Elze and I made the rookie mistake of getting the Schawarma which was gigantic and delicious but clearly not the house favorite. I look forward to going back and getting the fallafel which are freshly made and dolled out by the dozen to satiate the mass of hungry patrons.

Though the Marais may give me terrorizing flashbacks of working for Pain de Sucre, it is one of my favorite neighborhoods in Paris. It is jam packed with cobbled streets and charming shops, and has a contagious french feel to it. I'm happy I live so close to it that I can walk just a few blocks before I'm there. Truthfully, though, I haven't explored that many other neighborhoods out of laziness. The Marais is so close and so cute I haven't really felt the need to. Sure I've spent my fair share of time in St. Germain because of the amount of fabulous patisseries there, but most of my random ambling has occurred in the Marais. And now that I know there is decent street food there and shiny jewelry, I'm sure things will only get worse.


Stephan Edelbroich via Photos Paris

No comments:

Post a Comment